In the post-9/11 environment, emergency management and homeland security professionals face many new challenges. As the frequency and complexity of man-made, natural and technological disasters increase, so does the need for trained professionals ready to rise to the challenge.
UAF’s online Homeland Security and Emergency Management (HSEM) program prepares you for a career in which you will make an impact on your community and shape the growing emergency services field.
Courses are designed to work with students’ busy schedules — we know there may be personal and professional fires to put out along the way, perhaps literally. Small classes are taught by faculty who are active in the emergency management field and pull in real-time news from around the globe.
This is intended to be a four-year program. Fees below are based on full-time status.
Courses (120 Credits)
- Principles of Emergency Management and Homeland Security
- Emergency Planning and Preparedness
- Disaster Response Operations and Management
- All Hazards Risk Analysis
- Business Continuity and Crisis Management
- Leadership in Dangerous Contexts
- Introduction to Human Resources Management
- Organizational Theory and Behavior
- Training and Management Development
- Fiscal Management for Emergency Management Operations
Concentrations (choose one)Homeland Security
- Comparative Homeland Security
- Homeland Defense and Security
- Introduction to Emergency Management Exercise Design
- Comparative Emergency Management
- Supervising Emergency Services
- Advanced Principles of Fire Service Administration
- Cyber Domain in the 21st Century
- Cyber Security Management
- Cyber Security Resiliency
- Cybercrime, Fraud, and Law
- Incident Command for Emergency Medical Services
- Public Health in Emergencies
- Public Safety Instructional Methods
- Intro to Emergency Management Exercise Design
|$223/credit for 100- & 200-level courses||$5/credit Technology Fee||$50 Application Fee*|
|$269/credit for 300- & 400-level courses||$5/credit Libraries Fee||$50 Graduation Fee|
|$6/credit Facilities Fee|
|$9-11/credit Network Fee|
|$25/credit eCampus Fee|
|$54/credit School of Management fee for 300- and 400-level courses|
* Use code UAFSOM when applying to get your application fee waived!
Estimated Cost of Program Based on Current Rates: $37,400
For more about UAF costs, visit our Financial Aid website.
Careers in Which Our Graduates Excel
- First Responders (Firefighters, Emergency Medical Services)
- Law Enforcement
- Public Safety
- Immigration and Border Security (TSA, ICE, CBP)
- Disaster Response
- Cyber Security
- Internal Affairs
- Emergency Management (Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Red Cross)
- Homeland Security (Department of Homeland Security)
- Public Health
No special admissions requirements for this degree. General UAF requirements for a bachelor’s degree can be found here.
Get more information
A degree in Emergency Management was the perfect fit for my career in incident management. The quality of the material is top-notch and the “real-life” relevancy of the lessons can be applied to all types of careers. I plan to complete my BEM by 2017 and continue with the online Master of Security and Disaster Management program. Obtaining this level of education complements my years in the wildland firefighting field and has opened doors to exciting career opportunities.