EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION ONLINE DEGREE PROGRAM – ASSOCIATE
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION ONLINE DEGREE PROGRAM – ASSOCIATE
Earn your associate degree in early childhood education online at UAF and learn meaningful approaches for working with young children and their families. Ranked among the Best Online Associate in Early Childhood Education Degree Programs in the nation,* this nationally accredited degree emphasizes development of the whole child (prenatal through age 8) and includes award-winning faculty members. You can complete your degree entirely online, or combine with on-site work depending on your preferences. We also offer transfer credit for your Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential™ or completed military modules.
*TheBestSchools.org, July 2020
Who Is the Early Childhood Education Online Degree Designed For?
The online associate degree in early childhood education is designed for students enrolling in college for the first time, or those who are educated in other subject areas but want training for this field. Some courses are very beneficial for parents as well. Graduates will be prepared to help young children develop their intellectual, social, emotional and physical abilities, and provide support for families. There are also a variety of other degree options available for students who want to continue to a bachelor’s degree.
Get more information
Why Earn Your Online Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education at UAF?
- Engage in a practical curriculum that emphasizes application of skills over testing and includes more early childhood education credits and fewer general education requirements than most other programs of its kind.
- Benefit from best practices demonstrated at our on-campus Early Childhood Lab School whether you study remotely or on-site.
- Learn from award-winning faculty and access the most recent research in the field.
- Gain the benefits of attending a community college, while earning a university degree.
Example projects in the early childhood education online degree program
Early childhood education classes at UAF include a variety of hands-on experiences with teaching and developing curriculum:
- In our Thinking, Reasoning and Discovery course, you’ll choose a topic of interest to young children and then develop activities and materials to teach concepts of physical and life science, math and logic, and performing and visual arts. This will help you to think creatively about how children will best learn the key points in the unit and practice the activities together.
- In the Nutrition and Physical Wellness course, you’ll engage in a variety of activities to help children stay physically fit and to gain skills in physical activities such as handling balls or gymnastics. The course also looks in depth at nutrition and helping children learn the right foods to eat and how important it is to stay hydrated.
Experience online education at the University of Alaska Fairbanks
Our online programs are designed to give you flexibility while creating a learning experience in which you feel connected and supported. Web classes include a variety of online links, videos, virtual field trips and individual activities. One of our classes uses an e-book developed by faculty, in which assignments are completed through videos and submitted within the text. Many of our students attend part time while they are working or raising a family. Like all of our online programs, the associate in early childhood education is offered at in-state tuition for students everywhere.
Working full time and being busy with my family doesn’t leave much time for me to attend classes face-to-face. The online courses fit perfectly into my schedule and I have been very successful. My professors and advising team have been absolutely amazing. The quality of the curriculum and faculty has far exceeded my expectations.
– Jamie Kuhn, Teacher at thrivALASKA Head Start
Cost breakdown for the online associate degree in early childhood education
The estimated cost for the early childhood program based on current rates is $18,030.
See what your dollars go toward on the UAF eCampus Tuition and Fees page.
The quality of classes can only be described as outstanding. And best of all: It is fun. I just love them, especially when looking back and realizing how much it helped further my job as well as my daily life.
– Heike Loewer, recipient of UAF’s Joel Wiegert Award, which recognizes an outstanding associate degree candidate.
What Can You Do With an Early Childhood Education Degree?
This degree is designed to prepare early childhood educators to work effectively with children and families in a variety of settings. Examples of careers in early childhood education include:
- Pre-school teachers and aides
- K-3 classroom aides
- Before- or after-school child care providers
- Education and disabilities coordinators
- Family advocates
- Family child care home providers
- Home visitors
- Parenting educators
- Program director and assistant directors
- Recreation leaders
Early childhood education associate degree salary
Want to get a sense of how much you can earn in the early childhood education field? Here are national salary averages for a selection of careers in early childhood education:*
- Childcare workers: $24,230
- Preschool teachers: $30,520
- Child, family and school social workers: $49,460
Here are average annual earnings for these same careers in Alaska:
- Childcare workers: $28,680
- Preschool teachers: $35,580
- Child, family and school social workers: $48,970
*Based on data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education Requirements
Other Online Degree Programs to Explore at UAF
Get Started on Your Online Early Childhood Education DegreeEarn your early childhood education degree online at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. We’re here to help.
Talk to an admissions counselor
Connect with an expert online admissions counselor for help getting started.
Transfer to UAF
We’ll walk you through the process and make sure you get the most out of credits you’ve earned.
Earn your associate degree in early childhood education online at UAF.