The online Master of Security and Disaster Management (MSDM) program provides both aspiring and existing homeland security and emergency management practitioners the education needed to lead and manage at the operational to strategic levels within their chosen career field. Course instructors have experience in careers that include the military and law enforcement. Real-world situations, stripped from the morning’s headlines, are class material that afternoon and often applied to solutions in students’ day jobs. Faculty and staff also work hard to help students find their next job or advance their career opportunities in their current job.
Courses (30 Credits)
Students without a background in homeland security or emergency management will be required to take Principles of Emergency Management and Homeland Security (HSEM F301). This course will not count toward the Master of Security and Disaster Management program. Students without a UAF Bachelor of Emergency Management degree will be required to take Emergency Planning and Preparedness (HSEM F412) prior to Community Planning in Emergency Management (HSEM F605). HSEM F412 may be counted as an elective in the Master of Security and Disaster Management program.
- Legal Aspects of Homeland Security & Emergency Management
- Disaster Management Policy
- Community Planning in Emergency Management
- Vulnerability and Protection
- Human Security
- Project Management
- Strategic Collaboration
- Security and Disaster Management Capstone
- International Disaster Management
- MSDM Seminar (topics rotate)
- Any 400-level Homeland Security and Emergency Management course not previously taken
|$489/credit||$5/credit Technology Fee||$75 Application Fee*|
|$6/credit UA Facilities Fee||$50 Graduation Fee|
|$20/credit Network Charge|
|$25/credit eCampus Fee|
|$98/credit School of Management Fee|
* Use code UAFSOM when applying to get your application fee waived!
Estimated Cost of Program Based on Current Rates: $19,340For more about UAF costs, visit our Registration Guide.
Designed to Help Graduates Succeed in These Agencies
- U.S. State Department
- Department of Homeland Security
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Department of the Interior
- Transportation Security Administration
- American Red Cross
- Bureau of Land Management
- Local Fire and Police Departments
- State Emergency Management Departments
- Oil and Gas Industries
Students WITHOUT a Bachelor of Emergency Management degree from UAF Students with a GPA above 2.75 must submit results of the Watson-Glaser Critical Thinking Test. Students WITH a Bachelor of Emergency Management degree from UAF Students with a GPA above 3.25 will not be required to take an entrance exam. Students with a GPA between 3.25 and 2.75 will be required to submit results of the Watson-Glaser Critical Thinking Test. Any student with a GPA lower than 2.75 will be required to submit results of the GRE or GMAT. General UAF requirements for a master’s degree.
Get more information
After serving 24 years in the US Air Force, my urge to be of service never went away. The online MSDM gives me the opportunity to expand my specialized knowledge and offer applicable expertise in the field, volunteering with my city’s Emergency Operations Center in regional training activities. Robert Ituarte