The online Bachelor of Arts in Biological Sciences is an opportunity to combine an in-depth study of the science of life with an interest in the human condition.
This biology major pairs well with minors such as digital journalism, business, emergency management, art and psychology (all available online).
Our professors are active researchers and you will gain research experience working with one of them on a capstone project.
Courses (120 Credits)
- Fundamentals of Biology I (BIOL F115X)
- Fundamentals of Biology II (BIOL F116X)
- Principles of Genetics (BIOL F260)
- Principles of Evolution (BIOL F481)
- Introduction to Computer Programming (CS F103)
- General Chemistry I (CHEM F105X)
- General Chemistry II (CHEM F106X)
- Organic Chemistry I (CHEM F321)
- Elementary Statistics (STAT F200X)
Choose two of the following:
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I (BIOL F111X) and Human Anatomy and Physiology II (BIOL F112X)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (BIOL F360)
- Principles of Ecology (BIOL F371)
Choose three elective courses, one of which should be a capstone course. Some of our current and upcoming online course offerings are:
- Behavioral Neuroscience Research Capstone (BIOL F440)
- Community Ecology Capstone (BIOL F472)
- Introduction to the Biology of Cancer (BIOL F435)
- Exercise Physiology (BIOL F412)
- Introduction to Plant Biology (BIOL F239)
Refer to the UAF Catalog for the full list of course requirements, which include at least 18 credits of humanities and social sciences coursework.
No special admissions requirements. General UAF requirements for applying to a bachelor’s degree can be found here.
Careers in Which Our Graduates Excel
This Bachelor of Arts in Biological Sciences will prepare you for careers in health care, biotechnology, environmental monitoring, botany and field biology. Combined with particular minors, the program can prepare students for interdisciplinary careers such as biological art, science journalism and biology-related business.
|$234/credit for 100- and 200-level courses||$5/credit Technology Fee||$50 Application Fee|
|$282/credit for 300- and 400-level courses||$5/credit Libraries Fee||$50 Graduation Fee|
|$6/credit UA Facilities Fee|
|$9-11/credit Network Charge|
|$25/credit eCampus Fee|
Estimated Cost of Program Based on Current Rates: $37,030
For more about UAF costs, visit our Registration Guide.
Get more information
I feel extremely fortunate to have been able to take Principles of Genetics online since I work an 8-5 job and am also a caregiver for my mom. The course was thoughtfully organized with clear expectations and the instructor and lab TA were readily available for questions. The video lectures are engaging and divided up by topic in manageable segments. The assignment schedule was great — it was structured to help students keep up with the workload, and this is not a course where you want to fall behind. Since I had been out of academics for quite awhile, an online biology course gave me cause for concern but I was able to keep up with the workload and I felt engaged all semester.